Saturday, September 18, 2010

THE FOOD HERE!


I'll preface this story with this:  An elderly Japanese woman told me I need to eat more and proceeded to scoop several more spoonfuls of rice into my bowl.  WHAT.

For informational purposes I think I should point out I live in Koganei Men's Dormitory (lol I'm a MAN!).  Maybe that'll help some confused kid when he tries to google that place he's about to live in.  He'll find this blog and have plenty of information on it and be ever so happy.  I WISH THAT WOULD'VE HAPPENED FOR ME!

Like I said in a previous post, this place is run by a man and his wife.  The man seems to be head-honcho guy and handyman.  The wife cooks the meals.  AND BOY CAN SHE, OH MY GOD.  I'd like to point out how glad I am to not be vegetarian.  Dinner was a slab of fish.  I don't know what fish.  It came with things next to it.  I don't know what these things were.  They could have been vegetables.  They could have also been meat things.  Regardless, they were all good.  The meal also came with salad.  The salad also had some sort of meat in it.  I don't know what.  It had lettuce and all, but there were also bits of other things (i assume to be vegetables).  I don't know what they were, but they were also good.  JAPANESE SALAD DRESSING DELICIOUS HNNNNNGGGGHH!!!!  Then there was miso soup.  OMG MY FIRST HOMEMADE MISO SOUP.  SHIT WAS OFF DA CHAIN.  It was ALSO full of stuff, the majority of which I did not recognize.  Also FUCKING DELICIOUS.  At first I thought it had fish in it too (which I thought was funny), but it turns out it was tofu.  CAN I GET AN OMNOMNOM UP IN HERE?  Of course the meal also came with rice (which I mentioned earlier) and tea.  The tea... I couldn't tell you how good it was, honestly.  It was a chilled tea.  I was so thirsty that I downed the entire first cup in one gulp with the full intent of getting another.  However, some guy sat in the seat DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF THE TEA DISPENSER THINGY, and I was too shy and embarrassed to reach over him to get more.  I ATE SO MUCH FOOD.

I LOVE JAPANESE TELEVISION.  We watched a show where they interviewed (what I assume to be) celebrities in a van.  However the interview was mostly a ruse and a distraction because they were just counting down the time until they hit a giant bump in the road and filmed the celebrities' reaction to being flung up off their seat.  This one cute woman made them stop the van and go over it again.  The noises she made were priceless. 

I went to the vending machine in our dorm.  It's very fancy.  There's covers for things and directions and diagrams everywhere.  I bought my first Calpis Water in Japan~  I also got Japanese change.  JAPANESE CHANGE!  100 yen coins make it so seemingly easy to spend a dollar that it kinda scares me...  The five hundred yen coins are also scary, but less so because they're bigger and GOLD so that makes them special in my mind and not want to spend them.  The fifty yen coins are cute, BUT THE 10 YEN COIN BUGS ME SO MUCH.  It's bigger than the 50 yen coin.  It's like the nickel of Japanese change: all big and awkward and useless.  I think this is also a ploy to get me to spend it as now I want to just so I can get rid of it.

WELL PLAYED, JAPAN.  WELL PLAYED.

Showers!  I took a shower in our dorm's showers today.  SHIT DOES NOT GET HOT, THAT IS FOR SURE.  Mind you, it's not cold, but it's definitely not the "Aaaaahhh~" hot that I'm used to at home.  This doesn't bother me much right now, but I have a feeling it will in winter.  The shower had a mirror in it.  I kinda thought this was awkward.  Mind you, it went down to just above your waist (at least for my height), but it was very front and center.  For the first time ever, I knew what I looked like while taking a shower.  IT DIDN'T EVEN FOG UP MUCH, SHIT WAS MAGIC.  

Facebook is apparently doing maintenance for the next FEW HOURS so I can't access my account.  Fiddlesticks.

I can't wait to hear cicadas and get sick of hearing cicadas and complain about hearing cicadas!

That's all for now, children.  More in the future when stuff happens!  I can't wait for stuff!

*Still not wearing pants~

3 comments:

  1. No no no! It's gonna be teh Ichi-yens that fuck with ya! I try SO HARD to get rid of them! Curses!

    Also, you're quite lucky with the shower, I couldn't see my face, just my chest stomach and privates. Twas an awkward experience every time.

    I'm so excited for you to be there! I loved it there! Word of caution though! Sometimes the BIG fucking cockroaches can get inside, I suggest ducking the sides of your aircon track.

    When I come to visit, I am def gonna go see the ryoucho and his wife! And we have to go have fun in Shinjuku ni-chome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And by 'ducking' I meant 'Duck taping!' WTF

    ReplyDelete
  3. "They could have been vegetables. They could have also been meat things." Favorite line for sure.

    ReplyDelete